(This is a sub-post because it looks more professional.) Blogging, Marketing, SEO, SEM, PPC

Tales of a New-to-New-Media Blogger



Thursday, December 9, 2010

Me - Becoming a Social Media, SEO, On-line Marketing Expert?

Ok. I am going to take a bit of a reality check here.  This will be based on gathered information from a couple of in-person meetings I had assessing my abilities.  Just doing this to re-focus.
I will continue, G-d willing to learn more about social media and how it works, Search Engine Optimization, Pay-Per-Clicks, online advertising, developing a web presence, blogging, content marketing etc.
The question is what will I do with all of the information and WHY will I continue learning it?
Answer: I will learn it so that I can have a basic understanding of the field - not to compete with all of the young computer-technology-loving people.  I'm happy for all of those people and their areas of expertise.  Let them keep competing and optimizing sites on search engines - getting high ranks and tweeting on twitter all they want.
What I like is the business aspect of it.  When I interviewed at Morpheus Media, the human resource manager was very pleasant and also very honest.  She told me point blank that I could never compete with the young people who are new media lovers - eat sleep and drink up all of the latest etc.  The account services-business development-client interaction is more what I'd be good at - the professional aspects.
But in order to be good at that, you do need some knowledge in this digital media and marketing world as well.
 You need to LEARN THE BUSINESS a little.  All businesses need to be marketed.

I came across a job posting today on the job boards.  It was a typical one searching for a
"New Marketing/New Media Consultant"
A name-brand innovator and importer of hand-held tools and instruments based in the NY metro area is seeking a new media communications consultant to promote sales of their products via social media marketing and reseller development. We need a proven social media expert who can develop successful promotional campaigns using social networking venues, SEO development, and viral marketing; track and report results; and manage and expand relationships with client resellers. You will develop compelling web content to maximize traffic and sales to the client's website and those of their resellers, while improving and expanding relationships with current and potential online retailers of their merchandise.
You must have an extensive recent background in internet marketing, SEO development, and social media as well as a solid grasp of business analytics and back end metrics. We prefer a candidate with a BA in Business Management or Marketing. You should have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be comfortable interacting with internal and external partners. You should also have a basic understanding of the basic elements of web design and development.
This is a ground-floor opportunity to work with an established brand and cutting-edge engineering concern with a 50-year track record of continuing growth, currently enjoying their best year ever in a down economy. There is strong potential for career advancement based on performance.
Interested parties should forward a cover letter outlining relevant experience and credentials; an updated resume; and any references or relevant web links to Michael at hybridhiring2@mail.com.

So, I can rule-out that I am not the one for this job, any jobs like it, nor do I aspire to be.

My ideas are slowly sharpening and coming to a head, but not quite there yet.
I need to do some more research on being the middleman/agent/coordinator between finding the clients, companies, business who need advertising and promoting and connecting them with expert new media marketing pros.

What I need to research: (Options)
1) Starting my own agent business where I just connect people with people and get a fee. 
Outsourcing the business development for the marketing companies.  This means, getting the clients to do their marketing with certain companies I will contract with.  For example - My brother Howard H Frank DPM runs a podiatry practice in Brooklyn.  I would approach him, a business owner, and offer marketing services to him.  I would not DO the actual marketing services.  The marketing services would be done by a professional marking firm such as "BottomLineMarketing." I would work with companies that would pay me a finder's fee for giving them new business accounts.
2) Start my own media marketing company and do everything.  Get clients, hire freelance marketing media experts and pay them a flat sum per job they do and charge certain amount to the client/business.  I would be the liaison in all aspects.
3) Work for a marketing company as an employee (to start) in the new business department.

No comments:

Post a Comment